Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Election Day

I woke up very early yesterday morning and decided to walk into town and find the school. I was suprised at how empty the streets were. No traffic, a few buses, and even fewer people. I found the school with no problems and decided to explore and get some breakfast. Everything was deserted downtown, save a 24 hour McDonalds. So I got an McMuffin.

I came into school very early, before any other teachers. Soon everyone arrived and I was off to observe for an hour before being thrown to the wolves. (8 kindegarteners for 3hours) I did at least have the help of the Korean co-teacher.

For lunch, everything was still closed. It finally dawned on everyone that today is election day; a holiday for Korea. So we had lunch...at Dunkin Donuts. I thought I would be able to eat more healthy food and more cheaply than at home. Not really happening yet.

My meals so far in Korea:
1. KFC
2. McDonalds
3. Dunkin Donuts
4. Burger King
5. Chicken & Pig
6. McDonalds

The fast food is only a little cheaper at home, but you get more food. BK Whopper meal comes with fries AND chicken nuggets for about $5. Last night I had my first Korean meal at "Chicken & Pig." That's not the name, but what everyone here calls it. It was a galbi restaurant, they have these gas burners at every table. The waiters bring your food out and cook it there. Tons of food. The tab for 4 people with drinks was: 30 bucks (no tip in Korea either!)

Again this morning I woke up very early. I am blogging from school. I have to go to immigration today to get my Alien Registration Card. There are some issues with my being overscheduled according to the terms of my contract, but I think that will be worked out today.

The kids here are all very smart and some classes do the English exercises better than American kids their age. One girl even corrected my wrong answer. (I should probably READ the questions before answering them.)

In one class the students had to fill in their best friends name. The teacher told them they could write the Korean name, so when I wrote a name in Korean, all the kids went crazy. They were so excited and suprised I could do it and they all came running up to the board to correct it. Fun.

No comments: