Friday, December 21, 2007

Double Dipping

Today being my first Saturday, I decided to get out of the apartment and get some things I needed. I wanted to get a hot water pot for making ramen and pasta so I went to an LG store. An electric kettle there was $40! A small coffee pot that would be $15 at Wal-Mart was $50. I didn't buy one. I looked at electric razors there and picked up a Panasonic for $70, about the American price.

When I checked out, the salesman asked me my name. He walked off and came back with some LG papertowels, said "Merry Christmas," and then handed me his card. Apparently he's my "guy" when I go to that store. It's really neat the level of service they have.

I went to a department store here and got dress shirts for $5. Since I didn't know my size, the lady measured and pulled the ones for me. Also nice.

I was asking about a dry cleaner all week. I walked across the street from my apartment and found three right next to each other. I just dropped my stuff off there. The guy quoted my $3/item. I told him too much. Then $2, still too much, I got him to go to $1. With so much competition so nearby they have to meet others prices. There is a place in the dept. store that does shirts for 90 cents, but I don't want to walk that far. Oh, the best part is I can pick them up at 8 p.m. (I dropped them off at 3.)

Walking around, I saw one of my students. He is probably the best English speaker in my kindergarten class. He didn't say anything, he seemed in total shock that Adam Teacher was out on the streets with other Koreans.

I went to get lunch and noticed that most Korean families order one big dish and everyone eats out of it. Kinda gross. If you order a large "cola" here, it will have holes for two straws, so you can share with your sweetie. I guess the concept of double dipping would be completely lost on them.

No comments: