Thursday, November 29, 2007

Pioneers of a Different Sort

Below is a clip where Jim Rogers (The Adventure Capitalist who grew up in Demopolis, AL) was talking about how he has moved his family to Singpore. In other interviews he has said that living/working in Asia is the same as being in NYC in 1907, that is, on the brink of growth and success. Agreed.

I feel that a lot of my reasons for going to Korea has not only to do with my wanderlust, but on economic principles. The salary/cost of living for most new graduates in our country is appalling, not to mention the inflation and dollar bastardization. The future doesn't look much better for most as salary rises only marginally (for most in most industries) over the next years.

True, we still have a high standard of living. I am constantly asking "what is enough?" It is my belief that successes enjoyed by my grandparent's generation are today impossible on the same scale. 400+ years ago, someone in my family decided to move from Spain to the US and 100 years later, someone from Scotland decided to do the same. Why can't I make that same move for my future?

No comments: